Volunteers play an important role in the Shiloh Museum’s mission to preserve the history of Northwest Arkansas. We have volunteer opportunities for a variety of interests and time commitments. Benefits to volunteers include a 10% discount in the Shiloh Museum Store, invitations to exhibit openings and special events, and opportunities for educational tours, programs, and activities.
Front-of-house volunteer work includes a wide range of opportunities to work with the public and share knowledge about the Arkansas Ozarks. Qualifications: volunteers who genuinely enjoy working with people and have a desire to share their sense of fun and excitement in learning something new about the history of our region. These opportunities include:
- Community outreach and festivals are a great way to bring Shiloh Museum to the six counties we serve, including Benton, Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton, and Washington. Community outreach volunteers can assist museum staff in attending and tabling at community festivals and events.
- Docents and tour guides inspire and inform museum visitors by interpreting exhibits and artifacts for museum visitors as well as giving guided tours of the museum or historic buildings.
- Education volunteers interact with families, adults, and school children. They inspire and inform children by assisting with school group tours and programs.
- Information desk volunteers greet guests, answer visitor questions, and share information about Shiloh Museum.
- Shiloh Museum Store volunteers help visitors find treasures and mementos of their visits. They answer questions about products, help restock merchandise, and learn about store operations.
- Special events volunteers assist staff during special events on our grounds, such as the Ozark Quilt Fair, Fibers to Fabric (formerly Sheep to Shawl), and members-only events. Volunteers would help with event set up and tear down, greeting event guests, and assisting guests with activities throughout the event.
Behind-the-scenes volunteers work with the collections manager, photo archivist, librarian, director, and other staff members. Qualifications: An interest in history, attention to detail, and the willingness to make a long-term commitment to the project. Other qualifications will vary depending on the particular job. Training is provided on an individual basis but may require occasional group training sessions. These opportunities include:
- Administrative volunteers assist in a variety of departments with office duties, such as filing, scanning, organizing, and scrapbooking. Projects vary based on department needs.
- Communications volunteers assist the Communications Manager in creating social media content, writing for the website, or assisting with the quarterly newsletter.
- Collections volunteers do data entry, sort archival materials, clean and inventory artifacts, or assist collections staff with special projects.
- Historic preservation volunteers help maintain our historic buildings by cleaning, assisting with maintenance and repair, or documenting building history.
- Grounds keeping volunteers don’t have to have a green thumb! They help with gardening and keeping the grounds clean and safe for visitors.
- Image collections volunteers assist in our research library by identifying, sorting, numbering, filing, and inventorying photos.
- Research volunteers work in the library and research files, assist with special research projects, and help visitors find the materials they need.
What to Expect
- Applications are accepted year-round.
- After submitting your application, the Development and Volunteer Manager will contact you within one week to discuss your time commitment, areas of interest, and current opportunities.
- Volunteers are accepted based on their availability and potential for personal growth and positive impact.
- If a volunteer opportunity is available, you will be invited to attend the New Volunteer Welcome and Orientation session, meet other volunteers, and learn more about your individual assignment.
If you would like to share your time and talents with us, please fill out the form below to get started!