“Dazzler” Bicycle Lamp

Donated by Robert and Marion Roglin

Manufactured around 1910 by Powell & Hanmer of Birmingham, England, the Dazzler is a carbide lamp powered by acetylene gas, produced when water, housed in an upper chamber of the lamp, drips into a lower chamber containing calcium carbide. The acetylene gas serves as fuel for a flame—the lamp’s light source. 

Powell & Hanmer exported their bicycle lamp under the name “Dazzler,” while the same model sold in England went by “Panther.”

In addition to lighting the way for bicyclists in the early 1900s, carbide lamps were used to light up buildings, lighthouse beacons, and automobile headlights.

Speaking of bicycles, we’re located on the Razorback Regional Greenway, a fun and safe way to ride your bike to the museum.

Indian Clubs

Donated by Edward Moran

These Indian clubs belonged to Thomas F. Moran (1865-1950). Born to Irish immigrant parents in Worcester, Massachusetts, Moran lived in Fayetteville after he retired as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army in 1910. He was married to Elizabeth Barbara Schipperus; they had two sons, Thomas and Edward.

In the early 1800s, British soldiers stationed in India were impressed by the fitness of many Indian military personnel. The secret of the Indian soldiers’ excellent physical condition was their use of wooden clubs as part of an athletic training program. Swinging the clubs in a variety of patterns around the body leads to improved upper body strength, muscle tone, and agility.

From the mid-1800s into the 1930s, Indian clubs were a popular part of exercise routines in physical education classes in the United States.

Illustrations from As Others See Us or, The Rules and Customs of Refined Homes and Polite Society, F. B. Dickerson Co., 1891.

Chess Pieces

Guy Howard (seen here playing chess) made these chess pieces sometime in the mid-1900s in the workshop he had behind his home on Price Street in Springdale. The knight (horse-head) pieces were carved by Howard’s friend, Ralph C. Miller. The crowns on the king and queens are made of old bottle caps that have been filled with glue, set with beads or rhinestones, and painted.

William Guy Howard (1876-1965) moved to Northwest Arkansas from Nebraska as a young boy. He had a lifetime of public service in Springdale as city attorney during World War I, mayor during World War II, and municipal judge in the 1950s. To many local folks, Howard was known simply as “the Judge.” He was also a collector of prehistoric and Native American artifacts, which he displayed floor-to-ceiling in his home. In 1966 the Springdale City Council voted to purchase Howard’s massive collection of some 10,000 prehistoric and historic artifacts and 260 books and pamphlets on anthropology and archeology. This was the founding collection of the Shiloh Museum.

Baseball Mascot Shirt

Donated by Susan and Orville Hall Jr. 

Growing up in Fayetteville in the 1930s and 1940s, Orville Hall Jr. was surely the envy of all his buddies when he wore this snazzy shirt emblazoned with professional baseball team mascots of the day. Several teams on the shirt no longer exist. The St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954. The Washington Senators moved to Minnesota in 1961 to become the Twins. The New York Giants remained in New York until 1957 when they and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to San Francisco and Los Angeles, California.